WHAT IS HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION? Homestead exemption is a benefit homeowners get that reduces property tax on their primary residence.

WHO NEEDS TO FILE FOR HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION? If you purchased a new home and that home is your primary residence you will need to file if you want your property taxes reduced.

HOW OFTEN DO I NEED TO FILE FOR HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION? You only need to file once unless you have had changes in the last year that include the following changes;

  1. Change in marital status such as marriage, divorce or death of a spouse.
  2. Buying a house, adding a new parcel, building a new house or buying a mobile home.
  3. Selling or giving part of your property to someone including friends, relatives or neighbors.
  4. Turning 65 years of age on or before January 1st (bring proof of age).
  5. Becoming disabled on or before January 1st (bring proof of disability).
  6. Change in type of ownership (life estate, etc.)

WHERE DO I FILE HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION? You will need to file at the Pearl River County Tax Collectors Office located at 406 South Main St. Poplarville, Ms 39470 between the hours of 8 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday. (601) 403-2224

WHEN DO I FILE HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION? You will need to file between January 1st and April 1st of each year (no exeptions!)

WHAT DO I NEED IN ORDER TO FILE HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION? You will need to fill out this form and bring it with you to the tax office along with the following:

  1. Chancery clerk recorded copy of warranty deed (deed book and page must be shown).  If you don’t have one you can get a copy at the Chancery Clerk’s Office at the Pearl River County Court House at 200 S. Main St. in Poplarville.
  2. Husband and wife’s (if applicable) social security numbers.
  3. Purchase price and down payment of land, house and/or mobile home.
  4. License plate numbers on all motor vehicles owned by you or in your possession. These must be Mississippi license plates.
  5. If over 65 on or before January 1st, bring proof of age (driver’s license, birth certificate, voter’s registration, school record, bible record etc).
  6. If 100% social security disabled, bring original award letter or TPQV or BPQY letter from the social security office. In order for you to apply for disability homestead, we must have a copy of one of these letters. We can NOT use the letter that states the dollar amount of disability you or your spouse receives.
  7. If you are certified 100% service connected disabled by the veteran’s administration, bring letter from veteran’s affairs office.

Please note: If you do not have all of the information listed above, please do not ask to make an application for homestead exemption. This information is required by the state of Mississippi and is used in determining your eligibility. No application will be accepted unless they are complete. Any information requested by this office, not given, will be considered denied and may result in loss of exemption. It is your responsibility to provide the information to this office. Applications will be taken Monday thru Friday from 8am to 5pm beginning the first business day after January 1st and end on April 1st or the last business day before April 1st.